Being injured in a slip and fall accident can be scary and frustrating. Accidents can cause serious and even fatal injuries. Slips commonly happen on wet floors, rough patches of ground, or on defective staircases. When a victim slips and falls on an unsafe staircase on the premises of a commercial building, they may be entitled to compensation.
The National Safety Council found that slip and falls are the third leading cause of accidental injury-related deaths. Often, falls at work or commercial property can cause victims to miss work due to injuries or even be unable to return to work because of long-term disabilities.
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident in Louisiana you may have various legal options. Compensation won in a case can help to pay for medical bills, insurance bills, or wages lost due to injuries. Contact our Baton Rouge personal injury law firm to speak with a skilled legal representative and learn about your options and what to do next.
Factors in a Slip and Fall Staircase Accident in Louisiana
There are a number of different factors that can cause an accident on a staircase. If a commercial building has not followed all of the correct safety protocols, it is possible that their stairs may not be fit for the public. The following is a list of common issues that may cause a slip and fall accident:
- Poor Riser and Tread Design – Research has uncovered that when people use staircases they only focus on the first three and last three steps and don’t look at the rest. This makes it increasingly important for commercial properties to ensure their riser and tread design is easy to use and safe.
- Poor Stairway Visibility – If the visibility of the risers or tread is poor or limited, it can cause pedestrians to stumble and fall.
- Inadequate Lighting – Similar to visibility, a stairwell that is poorly lit can easily cause accidents when ascending or descending stairs.
- Missing Railings – When a business fails to provide adequate safety railings, it can result in pedestrians falling.
- Lack of Maintenance/Inattention – Businesses and commercial properties must give their facilities, such as staircases, the attention that they need. Lack of attention can result in a number of different issues than can then lead to an accident.
Slip and fall accidents account for over 8 million hospital emergency room visits each year. Countless injuries can occur including bone fractures, skin lacerations, and concussions. More serious falls can lead to life-altering disabilities and fatalities.
Hiring a Louisiana Slip and Fall Attorney
Slip and falls are the leading cause of hospital emergency room visits. Our Baton Rouge personal injury attorneys understand that businesses and property owners have a responsibility to stay up to date on the upkeep of their property and ensure the facilities are safe for consumer use. Victims who are injuries on commercial property in a slip and fall accident may be entitled to compensation.
Big River Trial Attorneys offers Louisiana clients high-quality legal representation in the event of an accident. If you or someone you love has been injured in a slip and fall accident and are unsure of what to do next, contact our Baton Rouge law firm office today at (225) 963-9638 to schedule a free case consultation.